Emily Mitzel will present on reusable medical device cleaning, disinfection and sterilization validations at the 2014 MD&M West Conference. Emily is a Laboratory Manager at Nelson Laboratories in Salt Lake City, Utah. Her presentation will include:
- Standards that govern medical device reprocessing, which include cleaning, disinfection and sterilization validations
– Specifically, the new standards associated with human factors
– Updates from the AAMI/FDA Round Table Discussion
- Challenges inherent in device design for human factors
- Considerations for cleaning and sterilization validations relevant to the practices of healthcare facilities
- New recommendations for manufacturers, Instructions for Use (IFU) documents, etc.
- Review of the manufacturer’s responsibilities and considerations
• Attendees will gain a better understanding of the central processing personnel who reprocess medical devices and how the ability to clean and sterilize the devices is a factor in the successful reuse of those devices
• Attendees will learn how to answer the question, “How clean is clean?”
– Three specific residual amounts have been agreed upon by the FDA/AAMI/industry and will be presented
Emily will present for approximately one hour at the Nelson Labs classroom in 208AB on February 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM. She will also present an innovation brief titled “Healthcare Reprocessing of Medical Devices and Human Factors Debrief” on February 11, 2014 from 1:40 PM until 2:10 PM. The innovation brief will be at booth 635 in the Tech Theater.
Nelson Laboratories website: www.nelsonlabs.com